Forest Gate Newsletter
Festive Fete at the Gate
The Gate Library will be hosting a day of festive fun and activities on Saturday 13th December from 11am – 3pm. Come and join in the fun! Santa will be opening the event at 11am with a magical show. Christmas entertainment will include carol singing by ‘Forest Voices’, a taste of Russia with songs by Sputnik, craft activities include an Origami Workshop, a cup decorating workshop and you can also make your own gingerbread man. At 3pm children aged 5-12 are welcome to stay and watch a Christmas movie, speak to library staff to add your name to the list as seats are limited to 25 seats – first come first served –
For more details; Contact the Gate Library on 020 3373 0856 or email CH.email@example.com
Forest Gate Youth Zone
Forest Gate Youth Zone are partnering with the Manor Park Neighbourhood team to host a ‘Young Peoples Christmas Showcase’ this will be an intergenerational event taking place on Saturday 13th December 2014 from 3-6pm. The event will have something for everyone including, an awards ceremony, intergenerational board games, henna art, arts and crafts, cake decorating, salsa and line dancing workshops, outdoor sports activities and much more.
Showcase artists will include;
• Boy Blue entertainment
• Rain Crew
• IMD Legion
• Unity UK
Light refreshments will be available.
Transport Bus: 58, 330, 308, 25 and 86 Train Forest Gate and Wanstead Station.
For more details contact:
Forest Gate Centre Manager Zahra Maalow at the Forest Gate Youth Zone on the following contact details Zahra.firstname.lastname@example.org or 07784 776 895
Manor Park Horace Lewis Little Ilford Centre Manager on Horace.Lewis@newham.gov.uk or 07890517331
Activities at the Gate Library
• ESOL: 9.45-am – 12.15pm (term time only)
• Sexual Health promotion information stall: 2nd and 4th Monday of each month 11.00am – 2.00pm
• Love Newham App’ demo drop in session: 10.30am – 11.30am
• ESOL: 9.45am – 12.15pm (term time only)
• ESOL: 12:30pm – 3.00pm (term time only)
• UEL promotion information stall: 1st Tuesday of each month 10am – 12noon
• Under 5s Story Telling: 11.00am – 12.00pm (Run by Kay Rowe)
• Do It Online basic computing course: 10am-12noon (must book in advance)
• Games Club 3.30pm – 5.00pm
• ESOL: 9.45-am – 12.15pm (term time only)
• ESOL: 12.30pm – 3.00pm (term time only)
• Deaf Club for BSL users: 3rd Thursday of each month 5.30pm – 7.45pm
• The Gate Writers Group: 4th Thursday of each month 5.30pm – 7.30pm
• Oral Health stall: 1st Thu of each month 3-5pm
• Alcohol and Drugs awareness stall: 3rd Thu of each month 3-5pm (starts 15 Jan)
• CYANA promotion information stall: 4th Thursday of each month 3pm – 5pm
• Film Club: 4.00pm – 6.00pm
• ICT help drop in sessions: 10am – 12pm
• Sing, Dance and Play session: 10.30 – 11.30am (run by Deanery road cc and starts from 16 Jan)
• Chess club: 3.30 – 5.15pm (starts from 23 Jan)
• Forest Gate South Councillors surgery: 10.30am – 11.30am
• Forest Gate North Councillors surgery: 10.30am – 11.30am
• Mayor surgery 4th Sat of each month: 9.30-10.30am
• Children’s homework club: 10am – 12noon (term time only)
Friendship club is for young adults with learning disabilities, the group will be holding its Christmas Lunch on
Wednesday 17th December 12pm
At Brewers Fayre Pub
(Nearest station Beckton DLR)
Come along and say hello to the group, or join us for Christmas lunch.
The group will be hosting the next planning meeting on
28th January 12 – 2pm
The Garden Café
7 Cundy Road,
(Nearest station Custom House DLR)
Come along to find out what’s going on in your area, and to meet the group.
Forest Gate Community Garden
If you are interested in joining the Forest Gate gardening group, the group meet at
Coffee7 on the first Saturday of each month, lifetime membership £2
Please email email@example.com for more information.
TOGETHER are hosting a FREE Disability Arts Festival in Newham to celebrate Disability History Month. Festival dates 19th November to 15th December 2014 for more information contact email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 07973 252751
Don’t ignore it Report It!
Don’t’ forget to use the Love Newham app to report any problems affecting your local environment in Forest Gate you can report, graffiti, fly-tipping, fly-posting, litter dog fouling simply download the free application to your mobile phone now at http://www.newham.gov.uk/lovenewham – See a Problem? Take a Picture!
Community Neighbourhood Link workers
Support older and disabled residents, volunteers and community partners to run activities and events that make a difference in your area. For more information contact email@example.com or call 020 8430 2000 or visit http://www.newham.gov.uk/adultsocialcare
Forest Gate Christmas Lights Switch-on event
Forest Gate Neighbourhood team partnered with the organisers of Woodgrange Market to host the Christmas Lights switch on event on Saturday 6th December 2014. The Mayor of Newham led the countdown surrounded by dozens of local children and their families, visitors and market traders. Jenny Beeching coordinated the Forest Gate Schools choir who were accompanied by local musicians and Kay Rowe Nursery provided interactive activities for the under 10’s and Coffee7 served mulled wine, mulled apple juice and modern mince pies!
The event was followed by an international food and music event which was hosted by the Woodgrange Market organisers. Both events were supported by the local businesses in Forest Gate.
A grand time was had by all! Look out for next year’s event!
If you would like to share information about interesting things happening in your area or in your community group, with the local community in the Forest Gate, Please contact Glennette Bowles-Dove via Email; Glennette.firstname.lastname@example.org telephone 020 3373 8382 or mobile 07817 385 000
Seasons Greetings to you all!
Forest Gate Community Neighbourhood Senior Officer